Most vaping product packages have clear warnings that the product and its contents are not safe for children or pets. We are now more aware, too, of the risks to people where we once thought they were relatively harmless. Vaping poisoning remains a problem for pet owners when their pets are exposed to or ingests these nicotine substitutes.
The team at Oakhurst Veterinary Hospital want to give you the facts about vaping dangers and pets. Learn more about vape safety around pets by reading on.
If there is one thing on which we can all agree, it’s that no pet owner ever wants to utter the words “pet” and “emergency” in the same sentence. Sometimes, though, our furry friends become sick or injured in a critical way, making the need for emergency pet care inevitable.
As your pet’s advocate, it is important for you to be able to recognize the signs of a pet emergency, how to help a pet in distress, and to discern when veterinary care can wait for a scheduled appointment.Continue…
Essential oils have earned their place among those that enjoy and benefit from aromatherapy. From easing nausea to decreasing anxiety, these natural, plant-derived products have been central in the lives of many generations, and now they are part of the natural cure-all trend.
While seemingly safe and advantageous for people, essential oils and pets may be a terrible combination.Continue…
When we think about pet-proofing our homes, it makes sense to put away leftover food, cover the garbage bin, and make sure your favorite slippers are out of reach. However, securing the medicine cabinet probably isn’t the first thing that comes to mind, but perhaps it should be. The Pet Poison Hotline reports that nearly 50% of all the calls they receive involve human medications, both prescription and over-the-counter.
A heart-shaped box of chocolates is synonymous with Valentine’s Day, but for those of us with dogs, any chocolate in the home can put our canine companion at risk. As we prepare for an onslaught of delicious treats this February, it’s important to be aware of the dangers of chocolate toxicity and take steps to protect our pets.
It’s fairly well-known that chocolate is dangerous to dogs, but why? For starters, all forms of chocolate contain caffeine and theobromine, both of which cannot be properly metabolized by dogs or cats.
There’s a lot to love about fall in general, but the highlight for many is, of course, Halloween. We’ve been enjoying the costumes and decorations on display for weeks now, but the remaining days before the big event should include the mindful prevention of injury to a family pet. They all mean well, but pets can find themselves in a deep cauldron of hot water without Halloween pet safety tactics firmly in place.
The Obvious Dangers
Most pet owners are very aware of the dangers of chocolate, raisins, and Xylitol-sweetened treats around Halloween. While reducing these threats continue to be an essential of Halloween pet safety, there are additional risks to remember that aren’t so obvious. Continue…
We all want the best for our pets, and of course that includes keeping them safe from potentially poisonous substances. Because so many items commonly found in our homes, gardens, and neighborhoods can pose a hazard to our pets, it’s vital that pet parents are not only educated on the potential pet toxins, but also know what to do in the event of an accidental pet poisoning.
Although the weather outside is still a bit frightful, spring is right around the corner. Whether you’re planning out this year’s bumper crop, preparing to add landscaping foliage, or simply enjoying the beauty of plants year-round, there’s much to be excited about as the season turns.
Curious pets are often fascinated by plants, and many will do whatever it takes to get a nibble of greenery, whether they are inside or outside the home. Because pets and plants often don’t mix, it’s important for pet owners to know which plants pose a poisoning risk and what they can do to protect their furry loved ones.
Regardless of how long you’ve shared your space with a four-legged companion, you are probably well aware of their propensity to sniff out food wherever it may be.
The contents of a backpack, purse, or lunchbox can be particularly tantalizing, and with school back in session the opportunities for scrounging are nearly endless.
Unfortunately, these seemingly harmless items can actually pose a significant risk to our pets in the form of toxins such as certain foods, medication, and even chewing gum.