dog and halloween decorations.

There is so much to love about the fall season and all that it brings. Cozy sweaters, fall leaves, pet Halloween costumes, and decorating the house to celebrate are just a few. However, many of these decorations are temptations for your furry family members that may cause them harm. Here at Oakhurst Veterinary Hospital, we want you to celebrate the fall season with your pet’s safety in mind. Here are some home decor and seasonal decorating trends that are not safe for pets. 

Unsafe Fall Decorations and Trends for Pets 

Candles, Scented Sprays and Home Fragrances: Candles are a fall and winter staple because they come in a variety of delicious smelling scents and help the house feel cozy. Candles can be a fire hazard if they are within reach of your pets, however. Wagging tails may unintentionally catch on fire or knock candles over. Cats may jump and knock them over. If you want to enjoy your fall candles with your pets in the house, be sure to keep them out of reach of your pets and never leave them unattended. 

If you’re not a candle person, some of the alternative home fragrance options may be irritating to your pet’s respiratory system. Some animals (and humans) may be sensitive to the chemicals or fragrances that are found in candles, scented sprays, plugins, or incense. It can cause an inflammatory response in pets, and potentially lead to an asthma attack.  

Flowers and Plants: Chrysanthemums are a popular fall flower that are very toxic to cats. They can cause vomiting, stomach problems, and even difficulty breathing if your cat gets a hold of them. Other fall flowers such as Autumn crocus (also known as Meadow Saffron) are extremely toxic and can cause many issues such as difficulty breathing, vomiting and diarrhea, and even lead to death.  

If you’re a person who enjoys decorating for Christmas and the winter holidays early, keep an eye out for poinsettias, mistletoe, and holly berries, as these can all make your pet sick. If you believe your dog or cat has ingested a toxic plant or substance, call your veterinarian immediately, or contact the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Hotline at (888) 426-4435. 

Stringy Decorations: Stringy, flashy, or low-hanging decorations may look like a tempting toy or treat to your pet. These could be dangerous if ingested, and cause tummy issues that may result in surgery. 

Candy and Other Sweet Treats:  What may be a delicious treat for you can be a poisonous substance for your dog or cat. Chocolate is extremely toxic to dogs (and is also toxic to cats), and sweeteners such as xylitol are also poisonous. Baked goods containing chocolate or raisins also pose a threat. To keep your pets safe, never keep Halloween candy or other treats out on the counter or surfaces where your pet could get ahold of them. Make sure they are sealed up tight or put away in the fridge or cabinet.

We are here to help keep your pets healthy and safe during the fall season, and all year-round! Give us a call at (732) 531-1212 to schedule an appointment or ask our team any questions about keeping them safe this fall.