As we prepare for BBQ Season, many of us are probably thinking ahead to the inevitable aftermath of too much food and too little exercise. Heartburn, indigestion, bloating, and other unpleasantries are the typical side effects of a large meal. While certainly not fun, it helps to remember that these symptoms will pass and we’ll be back to normal the next day.
For pets, however, it’s a different story. Besides the fact that some people food is toxic to pets, indulging in BBQ leftovers or scraps may lead to a dangerous condition known as pancreatitis. Understanding pancreatitis in pets and how to prevent it is critical to keeping your pet safe and healthy.
The pancreas is a glandular organ located near the stomach. Its primary functions are to secrete enzymes that aid in digestion and to regulate blood sugar by producing insulin. Pancreatitis in pets occurs when the pancreas becomes inflamed and swollen; the secretion of enzymes is restricted and the surrounding tissues are affected. Continue…